Friday, July 31, 2009

Running - indoors or outdoors?

This morning, I completed my 3rd week of the couch-to-5k program. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and actually I kind of enjoyed it. There was a light rain most of the time, and that really cooled me off.

This led me to talk today about whether running outside is better or worse than running inside (on a treadmill).

My answer: neither! I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Outside (advantages)
  • More scenery and interesting visuals
  • More challenging
  • Better preparation for a 5k
  • It's Free!
Outside (disadvantages)
  • Can be harder on the knees
  • Temperature variations can cause discomfort
  • More dangerous (cars, animals)
  • Might be tough to find a flat area
Inside (advantages)
  • Stable climate
  • Don't need to carry things like water or an MP3 player
  • Some treadmills have a calorie tracker/pressure monitor built in
  • Can watch TV
  • Lower impact
Inside (disadvantages)
  • Can be boring
  • Programming some treadmills for intervals is a nightmare
  • If you don't have access to a treadmill, you need to buy one or join a gym
I prefer to run outside because I have a goal of finishing a 5k and because I don't own a treadmill. But that's just me.

What's your preference?

No comments:

Post a Comment