Monday, July 27, 2009

What to wear?

I've been thinking about how I can make this blog more useful to folks reading, particularly men who are considering getting in shape, and I realized that one thing that might be helpful is a discussion on what to wear when working out.

Some of the things that I've found that work particularly well for me are:
  • A good pair of shoes. I've mentioned it before, but it's totally worth your time to get professionally fitted for a pair of running shoes. First, it is sure to help you determine your pronation style and get the shoe that will work best. Second, it doesn't cost any more than it would to buy the shoes at the local sports store or even online in most cases, and finally, you can meet some great folks at the running store who can help keep you motivated and even hook you up with others at your same skill level.
  • Umbro shorts. I love these things. They are some of the most comfortable I've ever owned and they're pretty cheap. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. These are also really easy to care for.
  • UnderArmor Boxer Jock. Not every man wants or needs the support of a jock, but these things really keep me in place and they're super comfortable to boot. I throw these in the regular washing machine and hang them to dry overnight.
  • Old Navy Men's Rec Tech Active Muscle shirt. Sorry for the no link, I couldn't find it in Old Navy's online catalog. This is the sleeveless one that I use when I run. It's really light and totally lets sweat just evaporate, causing you to be even cooler. This is really important if you live in a hot climate (like Atlanta in the summertime).
  • Feetures socks. I got these because there's no seam across the toes. That seam really bothers me when I run. I ended up with the Original Feetures in no show with tab. These are really great at wicking moisture away from your feet, they have Lycra to provide extra arch support around the middle, and they're soft and cushiony. Plus they are also easy to care for. I just turn them inside-out, throw them in the washer, then pop them in the dryer for 10 minutes.
  • Under Armour headband. I use the Performance variety. This thing is a little extra that makes a huge difference. If you're like me with short hair or bald, I highly recommend something to keep the sweat out of your eyes. The bonus with this sweatband for me is that I use it to thread my headphones through and it keeps me from pulling them out as I run.
  • Sunscreen! I'm using Supergoop SPF-30 Bug Away now, which combines SPF 30 and bug repellent. It keeps those no-see-ums away. Another one of those little things that makes a big difference. Sunscreen will let you tan, just more safely. I always put it on about 20 minutes before I head out to exercise.
That's about it for what I wear. For the ladies who may be reading, I haven't forgotten about you! Check out a damn good sports bra and Lululemon pants. Both courtesy of Shredheads.

While I can't motivate you directly, I'll do my next "share it" post on getting and staying motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment