Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Top 10 ways to stay motivated

One of the most common things I hear from people who see my blog or one of my updates is, "I don't know how you do it, I just can't stay motivated". It's true that sometimes I have motivational issues, but here's what I do to keep myself on track and on target:
  1. Establish goals - When I started with my new diet and exercise lifestyle, I had to decide what my goals would be. While the big-picture goal will always be "to be healthy", for me that was not enough. I realized that I need clear, achievable goals pretty early on.
  2. Set new goals often - As you approach completion of one of your goals, make sure that you've set your next one. Don't let yourself stall out after you've finished a goal. My goals are always working towards just the next thing. Currently, I'm doing the C25K with the goal of running finishing a 5K race. My next goal will be to do a sprint triathlon.
  3. Start out small - Just do a little bit. My very first goals (as you can see on this blog) were to work out for 30 days using the Wii Fit, and to drink more water. Not huge goals, but they were ones that I could actually accomplish, with just a little bit of dedication.
  4. Keep yourself accountable - do this one however you can and whatever works for you. For me, I update Facebook daily and I keep this blog. The Facebook thing started with my first day and made a huge difference. The blog has been another fun way for me to keep everyone updated.
  5. Surround yourself with supporters - this is an important one. Make sure you share your goals and your progress. It's ok to brag a little bit here. You want people who are going to encourage you to keep it up - whether at home, at work, family and friends, or online. If you're not getting the support you need from family or friends, find it in a community of like-minded people. That's why I started reading the Shredheads blog.
  6. It's ok to miss a day - on both the diet and exercise side of the equation, never beat yourself up if you miss a day, or you don't make your goal, or you eat too much. Remember, you're really trying to change your lifestyle. Being militaristic in how you approach it will eventually turn you off.
  7. Listen to your body - this one is important. When your body hurts, pay attention. You may need to take a break to recover. When your body feels good, pay attention as well. This is how I realized that swimming was a great exercise for me. The whole time I felt great, and afterwards I was sore. Bing! This is one exercise that works for me.
  8. When you have an off day, remember your goals - some days are really hard to get going. Sometimes I want to sleep in and other days I'm just not feeling it. On those days especially, I make myself remember that I'm getting in shape for my coming vacation.
  9. Imagine yourself at your ideal weight - I mean really imagine what you'll look like, how you'll feel, how others will see you. Put yourself in that place as you're struggling with that last set of crunches.
  10. Reward yourself! Always associate your short term goals with a non-food reward. Things I've rewarded myself with and for what:
  • Finishing 2 weeks straight on the Wii Fit - my new "old school" Atlanta Braves cap that's in my profile picture.
  • Finishing 4 weeks on the Wii Fit - new running shoes, shorts, hand weights, and a yoga mat (in anticipation of my next goal - finishing the 30 day shred)
  • Finishing 20 days of the 30 day shred - a couple of new workout DVDs
  • Finishing the shred - a new tattoo
  • Finishing C25K and finishing the 5k race - you'll just have to wait and see!
So how about you? Do you have other tips for how you stay motivated? Share them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment